View Single Post
Old 05-16-18, 10:59 AM
mwl001

Bikes: Giant Roam 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've owned a Roam 2 since 2015, and I'll echo some of what others have said here. I would say that more than likely I'd be a little happier had I gone with an Escape 1 for about the same price, which has a carbon fork instead of a suspension fork. But that's because the roughest thing I ride is loose pea gravel on canal paths here in Arizona. I definitely unlock the suspension for that but pretty much leave it locked the rest of the time. Admittedly, if I had a rigid fork I would probably reduce tire pressure on canal rides, and the fork allows me to keep my tires pumped up at all times for good rolling. Honestly my Roam really never feels too heavy and I've got a rack, front and back lights, pump, and saddle bag so I can commute with it. Something "might" feel more agile if it weighed less but I can't argue with the versatility of the fork. Mine is hydraulic, meaning I can open and close it while riding (mechanical forks may let you unlock, but not lock while riding). I'd definitely recommend going with hydraulic lock out if you choose to go that route. I do think it depends on how you ride. We just bought a trailer to take our dogs on rides with us and the canals will be a great place to do that so in the very near future I may be very glad I chose the Roam. I think it just pays to think about what type of riding you enjoy the most and do the most. It might be in your case a good idea to buy a new/nicer bike to do your main riding and get a used one for mountain biking or trail riding, in some cases a more specifically "talented" bicycle might give you more enjoyment. I was looking for a swiss army knife and definitely have that, but a good quality carbon fork might be sufficient for most, YMMV.