Old 05-18-18, 01:12 PM
moth54

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We've given up on the idea of ebikes for now

Please bear in mind, that we realize that lithium batteries are relatively safe. I'm typing on a laptop running off AC power, but which has a battery in that is continuously recharged. (I use the battery for backup during power failures.)

But, the packs required to run ebikes are bigger, and that means, just that much more energy to 'run away.' And, my laptop is a brand I know, they've sold a bazillion, they have a huge interest in not undergoing another Apple/Dell recall - but if they do suspect something, they will do just that, issue a recall.

Meanwhile we had several nagging questions about the relatively inexpensive ebike we wanted to buy. The bike was fine. The motor was fine.

The battery and charger, uh, that's when the questions started.

How, with no detached or even attached garage with firewall, could we charge the battery pack given we'd be obliged to do it in a room which, if something did go wrong, could mean we set our house on fire? (Yes, we have alarmed smoke detectors in the house, but even so...) I suppose we could use a timer; add an ammo box to contain the packs (except they are supposed to need air to circulate around them, so the protective box couldn't be too tight.)

I also couldn't find out who made the battery in the bike or when it was made. I didn't know the brand of cells used, which considering how important it apparently is not to have metal dust contaminate the manufacturing process, would have been nice to know. I also didn't know who had assembled the pack and added the BMS (battery management system.) The battery charger supplied had a UL logo on it, but, it was supposed to be used only with a 'compatible' battery. Well, if I couldn't describe the battery, didn't know the manufacturer, except that it was sitting in an ebike assembled and distributed by XYZ, how could I check if it was compatible?

And this post , cited in another thread here, was the last straw.

I won the bad luck lotto here. It's not going too happen to each of us. That pack was fine, showing no symptoms of going low capacity, never discharged at high rate, never crashed or dropped. It simply had no reason to go off, even if it had been charging on a dumb power supply. Obviously something failed of course, but the usual result is not a fire, just a pack that shuts off in a half mile.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=87975&start=50

And I remembered why we fell in love with biking. Simplicity. Relatively low maintenance. Now, we're talking ammo boxes for the dang batteries while being charged, timers to keep one from accidentally overcharging, and life was starting to get complicated again...

Last edited by moth54; 05-18-18 at 01:15 PM.