Old 05-20-18, 08:21 PM
Pavol Stromcek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
If the chain had a pin (as opposed to masterlink) they may not have inserted it fully. or they re-opened it. It is just a bad design and why i only use masterlink chains (since it cost me a RD and hanger...).

I don't expect them to take the blame and buy you a new frame. You should have kept the bike as evidence and investigated yourself (with pictures here etc.) You basically charged the defendant with investigating and also made them the judge. Don't expect them to plead guilty.....
The chain is what comes with the Shimano 105 groupset, which to my knowledge does not have a master link. I did notice that one link (obscured in the first photo by the pulley closest to the cassette) looked like it had burst apart, but I wasn't sure if that link came apart and caused the failure, or if it burst apart after the RD snapped from slamming into the cassette or something.

But you mention the prospect of having to buy a new frame - does it look like my frame is toast? Or is that something that can straightened? I know that bent steel can be straightened; I just don't know if this particular bend is too severe for it to be reliably straightened.

This shop I took it to has been around for decades and has a pretty solid reputation, and in all my dealings with them in the past, I'd say 98% of the staff has been friendly and honest. It wasn't like I took it to some shady fly-by-night place that I'd never been to before. I guess we'll see how it goes. I investigated as much as I could with my limited mechanical knowledge, and sent photos to a cycling buddy of mine who used to work as a mechanic, and he was convinced the chain was at fault and strongly urged me to take it back to them and insist that they deal with it.

Last edited by Pavol Stromcek; 05-20-18 at 08:36 PM. Reason: clarity