View Single Post
Old 05-21-18, 09:11 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
I always confront dangerous drivers. Living on an island with limited route to commute to work, the confrontations have made the cycling safer.

Some I catch up to at lights and yell at them.
Some I catch up to at lights and talk to them.
Some I catch up to at lights and they keep their window up trying to pretend I am not next to them; even when I have moved to their drivers side window.
Some I spot their car/truck at their home and make it a point to ride by their house as often as possible. Lets them know I am a nearby neighbor.

Commercial vehicles, I call and talk to their boss. If the boss is uncooperative, I let the boss know that my next call is to their insurance company.

Some I can get their name from their license plate # because they have traffic infractions in the vehicle they endanger me with. From that, sometimes I have found their e-mail address and had a discussion that way telling the laws and penalties they are facing for their action.

One woman, I knew from youth sports and e-mailed her. She is a major drama queen.

Some I have reported to police and the cops talk to them.
Some I have reported to police and got them prosecuted.

Only one guy continued to try and harass me to scare me off as a witness to his hit&run. He got convicted and a big legal bill. His son did give me a shaka sign years later about when he learned to drive. So even if Mr. Hit&Run learned little, his son learned a lot.

One guy kept trying to endanger me, he got arrested in front of his work and lost his job because of it. He later got convicted of terroristic threatening. He had mental problems and was still living in his grandmothers townhouse at his age of 33. Seems the grandmother is unable to live on her own now and is in a nursing home or daughters house. The guy is likely homeless now.

One guy (23 year old) got out of his car to save face in front of his friend and fight the 50 year old cyclist. Dude looked very buff. He threw a 3 punch combo, I set down my bicycle, he charged me, he got kicked with a blind kick to his right thigh, followed with a left hook to his face and a right hook that did nothing because he was falling backwards. I got back to a defensive position and Mr. Buff Guy was begging me to "STAY AWAY FROM ME, LEAVE ME ALONE". His buddy told him "let's get out of here", walked him to the car and they sped off. If you cycle regularly, you really do have extremely strong legs that are great for self-defense kicks.

One cop got an internal affairs complaint. She did not get in trouble for the harassment but did get in trouble because she used her siren when she was not authorized to do so (unmarked car, no lights and not traffic duty). Dispatcher got in trouble for trying to cover for the cop and telling me I was breaking the law by riding in the narrow lane.

For me, I am still very much enjoying my cycling.

Last edited by CB HI; 05-24-18 at 03:34 PM.