Old 05-21-18, 10:54 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I was just discussing/debating this with a fellow skeptic who's an atheist. I'm more of a deist or agnostic, a very skeptical one.

My position is that it's difficult to disabuse people of woo -- notions of pseudoscience -- when their beliefs make them feel good. And feeling good psychologically often does translate to physical benefits.

Pleasant odors make us feel better. That doesn't mean essential oils offer any real, scientifically valid benefits.

It feels good to urinate. That doesn't mean drinking urine or washing our eyes with it translates to any physical benefits, but some folks do drink their urine and use it as eye wash or to treat skin problems.

The foot is filled with sensitive nerve endings, particularly in feet that are usually protected by shoes, socks, soft carpets, etc. Foot massages feel good. Things that feel good may translate to lower blood pressure, reduction of pain due to tension, etc. That doesn't mean that "grounding" is a thing that can be tested with any sound methodology and proved to be real.

Occasionally folk remedies and science coincide. Aspirin derives from the salicylic acid originally found in willow and poplar tree bark. It's one of our oldest and most valuable medicines. But it's not better to chew tree bark to relieve minor pain. Being a natural source doesn't make it work better, particularly when other unnecessary and potentially harmful ingredients are included, when all we actually need is the refined aspirin.

But if a person relates the thought of a tree with pleasant memories of exploring the woods, picnics, romantic encounters with lovers, etc., they may *feel* as if chewing willow bark is more effective than swallowing an aspirin, when the aspirin comes from a pill bottle in the bathroom -- a place often associated with unpleasant odors, vomiting, diarrhea, fights with siblings in a large family over who's next to use the shower, etc.

It's great when feeling good coincides with actual, measurable, repeatable health benefits. But we must be careful to avoid conflating feeling good with actually being healthy, particularly when serious symptoms are being masked.

And now I'm about to go soak in a hot bath of Epsom salts scented with eucalyptus and wintergreen. Do I really believe those scents actually enhance the effects on sore muscles? Nope. But it makes the bath more pleasant. And I have shoulder surgery in the morning and anything that makes me feel better may enhance my recovery.