View Single Post
Old 05-22-18, 08:19 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 220 Posts
Originally Posted by Nate998
I am a bit weirded out by the numerous articles on the topic of lightweight wheels/ wheelsets. I am currently planning on building a rear wheel for my road bike but no matter what I do, I cannot seem to find products that would render a sub-1 kg wheel. So from what point is a wheel heavy?
My build is going to be made out of a Prime RO30 rear wheel (339 gr. without QR), DT Swiss RR 511 rim (530 gr.) and Sapim Leader spokes, double butted (approx. 150 gr.) and this would get me a wheel that is a bit over 1000 gr. heavy. Other rims I've found from DT Swiss or Mavic do not go under 450 gr. so I wouldn't save a bunch of weight by getting those.

Any opinions and/ or advice?

Thanks in advance.

Considering you are 50kgs, then you should be able to get away with riding an incredibly light wheel.

As for how it is done, it is by making every component light and not compromising and saying you will stick with a 530gram rim because you can't be bothered to save 50grams on the rim.

You want to save weight on the rim, the hub, the spokes(and number of spokes).

I'm pretty sure that DT Swiss has some 380gram to 420 gram rims that you could get, and you should have no more than 28 spokes and go for spokes that are heavily butted, perhaps something like a 1.8mm/1.5mm/1.8mm.

Not sure how heavy your hub is, but again if one wants to pay the price premium, you can easily save 50 to 100grams here too.