View Single Post
Old 05-31-18, 11:13 AM
angusmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pine Cone
A quick look on Nashbar's website shows two single speed (1/8") replacement chains, one wih 112 links, the other with 114 links. Either should work on the trike. Chain tools can be found on many multi-tools or as single purpose tools. Breaking a chain takes about a minute or less with the right tool.

Sounds like you need to go to a different bike shop or get the tool and do it yourself.
Yeah I used a (borrowed) rivet extractor after I removed the current, old one to check how many links it has. Then I re-fitted and joined it with a quick spring-link. (is that the right term?) I used to have chain tools for my motor bike with one to draw together and hold the loose chain ends to fit the joining link. But that was 50 years ago and I doubt that I can find those ancient - but still relevant - tools now! Thanks for looking up the two lengths of chain - it shows I wasn't far off the mark in what I'd surmised about getting long chain lengths. I might see if I can get one twice the length needed and make a couple of chains Probably simpler to buy two standard, long ones I now think so I can clean and lubricate one properly while using the other. That might help increase their lives in the Sonoran desert dust.

My view is that the bike shop guy is both a lazy arse and has too much business and too little competition. No wonder folk go online when you get crap local service - the USA surely didn't use to be that way - or did it?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by angusmac; 05-31-18 at 11:25 AM.