View Single Post
Old 06-06-18, 10:12 AM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
With all the flat front surfaces and hard angles, what makes you think your fairing is at all aerodynamic? I could buy your type 3 being aerodynamic, but not so much the newer ones.
The word you're looking for is "compound curves". No, we can't create compound curves in Coroplast™ .

Aerodynamic Charts and Graphs by AviationMetalSmith, on Flickr

I am fully aware that fiberglass (or carbon fiber) would be better materials for creating the curves. However, there are design issues to be resolved with the configuration in general. And the lack of *other* people building fairings for upright bikes leaves a large burden on me, I have to try things to see if they work.
Coroplast™ is 50 times cheaper than Fiberglass, and Fiberglass is yet 70 times cheaper than Carbon Fiber. I wish I had the money to experiment with Carbon Fiber some more.
Anyway, here are the charts and graphs from the December 1983 Scientific American ....
Keep in mind I am also trying to defeat wind-chill, carry cargo, and create a surface to mount LED lights on. I originally set out to create aerodynamic panniers for a touring bike, but that was before mountain bikes appeared and touring bikes vanished...
I also had to contend with a lack of Cargo Bikes (in the 1970's you couldn't find any, outside of Amsterdam). I always wished for a cargo bike to do the duty of a touring bike (hauling my gear).
So, most fairing-builders have gone to recumbent bikes, I am nearly alone , other than the Zzipper company, and they don't carry cargo , or have LED lights, . And you can't paint clear. The white coroplast™ board is a perfect canvas for an eye catching graphic design.

The major mistake in the design of the Type 3 was the angle of the wedge , around the front wheel , it was only 22°. With the Model 317 it was widened to 108°, which was actually not bad, but now the 318 has an angle of approximately 72°, but it is actually curved...

Here's the lower portion (Fenderskirt) mock up, you can see that the ends of the Coroplast strake become parallel as they go aft:

Fairing • Mockup by AviationMetalSmith, on Flickr

I hope this message encourages someone, or perhaps a dozen, other builders to try to create Fairings for Upright Bikes. There are dozens of Recumbent Streamliners. If another builder comes up with a better design , what will I do ? Give up my design and copy theirs? or stick to my design and keep promoting the advantages over the disadvantages ? I really can't tell you , because everyone else is building Recumbent Bikes ...

I think an upcoming project will revise the 317 front fairing and make it more like the 318 front fairing, but keeping the nice tail box that the 317 has. A Lycra bodysock will then turn it into a full-streamliner.