Old 06-06-18, 04:23 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by southernfox
You are a very special case because you basically do a standing lap start for your 200m.
Well...not exactly.

The F200 that you witnessed me do was on a dare. I was running my mouth and said that I could do a "Standing Lap style Flying 200M as fast as I could do a traditional Flying 200M". If I were in at a bigger comp, my windup would be more traditional...and my gearing would be probably 4 to 5 gear-inches lower than if I did a standing 500M the same day.

Also, it was my first F200 in 5 years (including training). So, I'm sure it was a mess. I had been doing more standing starts all spring than F200m windups.

Regarding gearing:
The gearing for a 500M can and will often be bigger than that for a flying 200...depending on the riders energy profile (read: % of muscle fiber types).

Originally Posted by taras0000
Nope. Nope. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnndddddddddddddddd nope. You might want to wait a little longer and learn about what is out there in the track world before going around and making definitive diagnoses of how people function and go about things. Things aren't always as simple as they seem, nor are things as rare as they might seem to someone who may fall into the general major demographic of an activity. Just because the outcomes of someone's results are the reverse of yours doesn't mean that they are doing things vastly different than you.

Chris Hoy, Ryan Bailey, Jan Van Eijden, Arnoud Tournant, and Francois Pervis are just a few examples (off the top of my head) of guys who have attained higher "200/250m" times in Kilos and Keirins than they have in qualifying. Hoy and Pervis started to tilt that towards the 200m when they were focusing more on Sprint and Keirin later in their careers vs. the Kilo specialization that they did earlier.
+1