1500SLR
Banned.

Bikes: Trek 1500 SLR DI2 Giant Kronos SRAM Rival

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ReneV
I see we have any number of comprehension issues in play here. I am stating clearly that you keep moving the goal posts in what you say.
No we don't have a comprehension issue here at all. Its clear to me you didn't read the article I gave you on fracture toughness. We are talking about bicycle frames not carbon rods by the way. To deal with carbon in the context of all the ways a bicycle frame could be built we have to deal with the realities of fracture toughness. Compressive failures where alloys become plastic are actually all kinds of irrelevant to bicycle frames. In the vast majority of cases you will never reach the point on an alloy frame (steel is also an alloy) where you will reach the point where it becomes plastic. Even if you do the frame will bend rather than crack which is almost always entirely more survivable for bike frames.

The common and popular misconception is that materials that bend are "weak." It is based on the misconception that those materials that do no not bend are "strong". In reality, many materials that undergo large elastic and plastic deformations, such as steel, are able to absorb stresses that would cause brittle failures in materials such as carbon and glass. You've been run over by the carbon hype train.

Last edited by 1500SLR; 06-08-18 at 09:32 PM.