View Single Post
Old 06-11-18, 10:14 PM
arty dave

Bikes: 30's Speedwell Club Racer, 40's Speedwell 'Z' racer, 50's Unknown Aussie with nice lugs, 50's Speedwell Roadster, 50's Repco Roadster, '63 Raleigh DL-1, 70's Raleigh Sprite, Puch Promenade with Nexus 8

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by BigChief
I love the idea of an S5 hub on a big roadster. That 50% over normal high gear gives you tons of room to gear the hub down while still having a nice cruising ratio available. I'd go 22 or maybe even 24Tcog. A medium ratio spread, a cruising gear and a granny would be perfect to deal with the extra weight and wider tires of the big roadster. The S5 already has the longer axle so it would fit the frame, but I suspect I'd have to use the seat stay bolts to mount the fender stays. I don't think there would be enough room for the wire stays and the bell crank on the axle. So far, the S5 hubs I've seen for sale are super expensive. I'll keep looking.
I was lucky with that S5 hub as I think I paid AU$90 for the above bike in a much sorrier state. Wish I had a before photo to post it looked so bad. I have another S5 I found in a small wheel (maybe 20"?) at the recycling centre, it was a 28 hole hub stamped as a 3 speed, so I put the innards into a 36 hole shell. I've got a 40 hole hub, I can use that shell for the roadster.
Did you see the S5 hub I posted that was for sale cheap at the cabe? I just checked that link and it looks like it's still available - NOS $30 with all the fittings, cables, shifters, cog, clips etc.
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/re...onents.130898/

Last edited by arty dave; 06-12-18 at 05:00 PM. Reason: For Being Totally Awesome and Most Excellent