View Single Post
Old 06-18-18, 11:02 AM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
I was talking about Strava with one of the guys at my LBS, he a very KOM-centric sort of roadie guy. One of the only things we share in common is regularly losing leaderboard positions to 17-year-old kids that ride for the California Juniors teams. Whaddaya gonna do, right? Anyhow, his summation of Strava goes something like this: "Strava hasn't even been around 10 years, and you'll see most of the local KOMs are all weather based. Some guy gets the lucky tailwind, or better, has a paceline to pull him into that tailwind. If you expanded it out over time-- say 100 years into the future-- every Strava KOM will be unattainable. Because it will be held by a guy that had a leadout man and a 30mph tailwind."
That's why the only way to really race is in an actual race. Virtual racing is nonsense and rife with cheating. Although, now that I think about it, real racing is as well.