Old 06-19-18, 06:22 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by Abu Mahendra
What folding bikes specifically--make and model--did you ride that did not handle well?
I have a Novara folding bike that I especially dislike. I don't know the model. Also a Kent ultra-lightweight one (magnesium frame) that handles poorly, strange seat tube angle. I've also ridden several of the older ones, Raleigh Twenty, Raleigh RSW 16, and was not impressed. Moulton F-frame (though not a folding bike) also very twitchy. Of course those designs are very old and obsolete.

I've ridden a couple of Dahons that rode well enough, but I didn't like the way they fold, and their proprietary parts made it difficult or impossible to change the way they fold. I take my folding bike on a commuter train on which there is a very specific place where I can store the folded bike conveniently, and if a bike doesn't fit there, I have to modify it until it does. The Dahons I looked at did not give me any options to modify anything

Re your comments about Yan / Downtube: is this speculation, or do you have first hand information? I have neither, am merely reporting what I was told.

Last edited by rhm; 06-19-18 at 06:31 PM.