View Single Post
Old 06-21-18, 08:11 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,703 Times in 937 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
XC Pro cantis are simply the best cantilevers I have used. Have them on 2 bikes. The pads still work great. Nicely done, sir.
Thank you!

I go all around the thought process about cantis. I like the look of the 80s Shimano wide profile cantilevers. To me, the BR-MC70, M732, MT-60, and MT--62 cantilevers are the best looking brakes. That wide triangle just looks cool- and it looks like they should have the most leverage- it's a great big long lever pulling on the brake! From what I read, lower profile cantilevers are "better." The wider arms do catch/rub on bags in the back and I did have a bike that I always ended up kicking the canti arms, so I do know they get in the way. I think my next "grail" build is going to have XT M732 wide profile cantis in the front and XTR M900 low profile cantis in the back.

I don't remember when I started seeing the XC Pros- that gorgeous champagne glow to them is just so beautiful. And they work so WELL. The infinite adjustment takes a little getting used to for setting them up- but then it makes so much more sense than a fixed starting point. I've considered getting a set of the Suntour/Pedersen SE Self-Energizing XC Pro brakes for the rear- they're cool, but I don't think anywhere near as classy looking as the regular XC Pro brakes. I was going to swap out the pads for the finned Matthauser pads- but the stock pads are still pretty good.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.