View Single Post
Old 06-24-18, 09:24 PM
hochflynn

Bikes: 2014 Engin (custom titanium), 2008 Specialized tarmac, 2002 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm sure every case is different, but.... I was diagnosed with afib a bit over 2 years ago. Knew something was wrong when I was getting very out of breathe on slight hills. I was diagnosed with asthma and as a precaution it was recommended to do a stress test. I did and went into afib during it. I have a low resting heart rate but was given a med to keep it even lower as the cardiologist felt better to have it low and hopefully keep it from spiking. Was also prescribed a med to keep the rhythm in sync. Things unfortunately got worse (HR would spike to 190s on the slightest incline) in just a few months. I spoke with an electrocardioligist about having an ablation. During the visit I had an ekg done and I went into a-flutter. December, a year and a half ago I had an ablation for both and am currently back to something resembling my old self. To answer your question, I did ride solo with it. I bought a heart rate monitor to keep tabs on it, which kind of helped me know when to back off - confirm might be a better word, I could physically tell. So I would recommend that. I know some people can be on meds and control it for the most part. Others, like me get progressively worse and need to do something about it (quality of life issue). Was also, and still am, on a baby aspirin a day to reduce chances of having a stroke. There are also apps that allow someone to track you, so that might be something to look into. Bottom line is I think its generally okay but important to monitor yourself. Hopes this somehow helps.