Old 06-25-18, 08:45 AM
LanghamP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Keiffith
https://mikesbikes.com/product/creme...xoCwVQQAvD_BwE

Have you considered an IGH bike? Nothing is easier to maintain then a sealed gear box.

Over your budget but a good example
I bought a 9 speed Alfine fast commuter for exactly this reason and while it works mostly very well it does have a few drawbacks that I haven't quite figured out yet.

1. Adjusting an IGH so the gear shifts are correct is such a pain because you often exceed the adjuster limits of the shifter and so have to unbolt the cable (cam?) that goes into the IGH. Unbolt enough times and you have to get new cables (the act of screwing slightly damages the cable). It does get better. Youtube is your friend.

2. Getting a flat rear tire. Honestly, I'm at a loss when this happens, and just walk the bicycle home. The tools I have to unbolt the rear axle are on the larger end, and require delicate work and concentration.

Honestly, after the problems I've had with my 8 year old IGH bicycle, I'd just recommend some gravel bike with quick release wheels. While my problems on my IGH are extremely few, and only a few times per year (flats, really), they are a serious pain to fix compared to the easy innertube change of quick release wheels.