View Single Post
Old 01-14-06, 07:50 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I use Look pedals and an ergo Diadora road shoe, but use those exclusively for road riding. The pedals are simple to use, have a big platform, they have a lot of "float" (pivot the foot back sideways in the pedal) and are easy to clip in and out of. I've migrated to their carbon version not for the weight reduction but for the smoothness of the ride. I could not find another Look model that didn't develop an extremely annoying squeak between the pedal and the cleat over time. The carbon model is smooth and quiet.

The Diadora shoe has been an extremely comfortable, good fitting shoe and at a reasonable price compared to other models. The Ergo model has a ratcheted strap which has really helped me as my feet are pretty-no--they are very narrow. My pair have the nylon sole and have been very durable and are stiff enough for me. The higher priced shoes have carbon soles that are stiffer and probably a little lighter. There are LOTS of different makes and models out there and would suggest finding a shoe that feels okay and are a good fit for your feet.

Like Stapfam discussed, you might consider an "off road" shoe and pedal system, especially if you're thinking of doing touring. They are much easier to walk around with than standard road shoes.

I would recommend going clipless when you're comfortable doing so, however. It's just a personal preference, but I've trained myself to use more of the full pedaling stroke with the clipless pedals which makes it easier on both legs over the long run. One way you can help learn that is by unclipping with one foot and using the other foot to pedal completely around. I do that on my trainer for various time lengths and it seems to help me get better at it. When I ride I can look at my cadence and see the cadence increase with no increase in effort when I concentrate on "pedaling in circles"-- as opposed to just mashing down on both sides.