Slorida

Bikes: Cruzbike T-50, Bike Friday Pocket LLama

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Frame freeze

Originally Posted by splithub
There are no bearings Abu, it is a tube in a tube only. My Spin 5.1 has a small bearing inside this head cap to allow the cap and hex screw to rotate around each other without abrasion. In my Spin 2.0, this hex screw was tightened, losened a small gap and secured with LocTite to keep it in place. I replaced it with a quick release.
The problem Slorida has i had in a mild version with my 5.1. The surfaces of the tubes where too rough. Even lubricated with grease they produced some abrasion of aluminium dust with every fold and that summed up to a harder and harder paste that will be glue at the end. I seperated the frame halves, polished both surfaces, lubricated with chain spray and have no probs since. Maybe it is already difficult to separate. Of course if there is warranty on the bike, leave it to the shop where you bought it.
I wish I had known this when I first received the frame. I would have dismantled it and tried sanding and lubricating the two halves as you suggested. From my experience, the scenario that you described is probably what occurred. With each fold, it felt as if some glue in the hinge was slowly drying and fusing the two pieces together. Removing the fixing bolt and top cap did not reveal a threadless fork-like mechanism at all.
I contacted SoloRock and they sent me a FedEx return label to ship the bicycle back to their warehouse. I'll keep you posted on what happens next.