View Single Post
Old 07-02-18, 10:40 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4340 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr IGH
Quick! Call the engineers and Campy and tell them their Zonda wheels don't meet your engineering principals. Then alert DT that their multiple lines of rims that come with drillings from 20H to 32H are not designed properly and will fail. Next, use your engineering degree to show how it's worse for a rim to have an extra hole un-tensioned compared to tensioned hole.

The silliest statement you've made is that rims have very little strength of their own. You can't have build very many wheels to make such a wrong-headed claim.

LOL, earth science isn't really the background you need to make statements as you have .....

In the meantime I'll do the cycling equivalent of running with scissors by continuing to use my most dangerous wheel.
I can break a rim with my hands, something I can't do with a wheel. Rims become strong because they are under compression from the spoke tension.

The Zonda doesn't have extra spoke holes with no spokes in them. LOL. We aren't talking about whether 20 hole rims are a good idea or not, but whether rims designed for 32 spokes are built to withstand a much larger gap you'd have when you skip a spoke rather than drill the rim for an even number of spokes. LOL.

A 24 hole rim puts the spoke holes 81mm apart. A 32 hole rim puts the holes 61mm apart, so when you skip a hole that's a 120mm gap - much larger than the 24 hole rim.

So I don't know what point you're making, other than that you didn't understand the comparison I was making. LOL.

Last edited by Kontact; 07-02-18 at 10:54 AM.