View Single Post
Old 07-04-18, 09:35 PM
phobus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by SquidPuppet View Post
Something to consider about sizing. Generally, for an upright riding position you will want a bigger frame than your drop bar bike. Especially top tube length, because of the swept back handlebar. Find a way to experiment with your current bikes or see if you can borrow someones townie or hybrid to get an idea. You can try to fix that with a long stem or forward position mustache bars, but then you are bending forward and defeating the upright riding position. My recommendation would be to get the biggest frame that your inseam will allow. Quill stems go up and down quickly and easily and swept back bars can be trimmed to give you a custom fit.
Just to add a elaborate on sizing a bit more - I typically ride a ~57cm road frame. That Fuji I posted above is nominally a 23" frame wiith a ~58cm seat tube and a ~60.5cm top tube. I'm running North Road-style bars on the original 80mm 50-degree stem. Standover is a little tight, but my position on the bike is nice and upright. I would have a real hard time making this frame work for me with drop bars, but it's just about perfect for this kind of setup.