View Single Post
Old 07-07-18, 12:06 PM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 129 Posts
Camping Questions

I’m the past few years I’ve done some multi-day rides from my house, and stayed at B&B’s and motels. I can afford the $100 or so for the infrequent times I do such rides. However, I’m drawn to the idea of bringing tent/bag/pad on these trips for a few reasons: new gear to obsess over ;-), I like the outdoors, and I like the idea of perhaps having more options at night for where to sleep...which is handy when other accommodations are unavailable (like when I decide on one of these rides last minute). I’m planning to do more of these rides in the future, so the investment may be worth it.

I haven’t camped for years, have never camped alone, have never stealth camped, and I’ve never carried that additional weight on my bike (I have a 15L seatbag that holds spare clothes and toiletries with room to spare).

Questions:
- after a day of riding (alone), when you arrive at your camp and set up, what do you do? I can read,
listen to a podcast, but I sense I may get bored. And those small tents don’t look comfortable to hang out in. And if outside is a mosquito frenzy I fear I’ll be frustrated. Keep in mind I’m riding within hours from home (Ontario Canada), and as such it’s nit like touring new and exciting cities
- regarding strealth camping, if my only option, I assume it’s best to pitch the tent on public / crown lands, avoiding trespassing on private property? I’m thinking forests not far from roads or rail trails, back corners of parks in rural towns...I’m sure I’m missing lots of options
- I’m using my cross bike and don’t want to add racks and panniers; with the 15L I already have, what additional bags would I need for the camping gear? I realize there are lots of options, and I’ve watched plenty of videos, but haven’t watched one that makes me think ‘that’s for me’
- I’m riding in areas with restaurants and such, so will not be cooking, however, I figure I’ll need extra snacks at night and mornings. Question is safety in storing these snacks (no bears where I will be riding, but there are raccoons and coyotes, mice, etc.), any issues with storing the food in the tent with me?

Pretty long note already so I’ll stop there. Thanks!