Old 07-07-18, 06:53 PM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts
The last couple years I've been using Dupont Multi-Purpose teflon lube, both the spray and the liquid drip bottle (it started out as my main motorcycle chain lube).
But, that stuff acts like a dry wax lube, leaving huge deposits of gunk all over, and I became less happy with it.
I recently stumbled across two old bottles of Pro-Link in a parts box (Pro-Link used to be my favorite, years ago). But, then I also recently stumbled across a nearly full quart of Mobil1 synthetc motor oil, that I'd gotten a while back to use as a gun lube after reading tons of endorsements for it. (I've long felt that both the gun and bicycle lube industries were largely a sham).
So, I filled a pointy-tipped, plastic dispenser bottle (like the ones BBQ joints leave on the table with ketchup and mustard in them), and have been using that to apply it. The chain appears visibly lubed for a decent length of time, and seems smooth and quiet, and so far it hasn't gotten as nasty as other lubes I've used. It does seem to pick up some road grit, more than the Dupont stuff did, but that's what my citrus degreaser and chain scrubber are for (fortunately, I recently stumbled across that,as well !)

Last edited by Brocephus; 07-07-18 at 06:56 PM.