Old 07-09-18, 10:47 AM
TheLibrarian

Bikes: 2014 Giant Roam

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LanghamP
Well, I rent. That money is gone. With a house you might get some, most, or more of that money back when you sell (but then you have to find another place).

In an odd way, if you have a motorhome you perhaps shuffle the cost of land and road off yourself as you are basically using the transport infrastructure as your home. I think.

1. These things fall apart the moment you buy them. I guess that's not much different from owning a house.
2. They are small, although that's not too bad since my apartment is about the same size.
3. They are dangerous. You're on the road. However, I plan to drive and park for a long time.
4. Fuel is wasteful. To take that fuel and dump it into the atmosphere seems...evil.
5. Showing, bathing, and crapping. Honestly, to me, this is the biggest barrier. I'd want to get a motorhome that could at least have permanent water and blackwater hookups.
From a quick look some say the depreciation of the RV is comparable to rent but that must depend on the cost of the rv if I plan on spending 25k and keeping ot for 5 years but maintenance, fuel etc. About the cost of rent in an expensive new england area but that includes food entertainment and the ability to travel about minus the ability to hold a steady job but still need significant income.