cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
People will still be driving cars and riding bikes.

I do see a surge in e-bikes though. Only for the reason is that not everyone is fit enough to ride at moderate pace or long distance.

My wife and I sometimes ride together. I can ride anywhere from 50-100 miles. She's not as passionate about biking as I am and can't ride at the speed and distance I do...we both tried an e-bike a couple of weeks ago. She said she would like one so she can keep up with my pace and distance.

I would consider one for commuting to work to save me from becoming a sweatball by the time I reach the office.

E-bikes are just robbing Peter to Pay Paul though...Lot's of fossil fuels become dedicated to gathering materials to make the batteries, manufacturing the batteries and transporting the batteries. Not sure that the use of fossil fuels is reduced in the end. It's just shifted to the front end.
Thanks - great post. When you consider all the fossil fuel that goes into making a car vs e-bike, and the amount consumed in daily use, and the amount that goes into building and maintaining the road surface they both need, an e-bike is going to come out away ahead.