Old 07-12-18, 02:30 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by lukasamd
Now I can move to ST-RS685 shifters and BR-RS785 hydro brakes, then can sold 6800 shifters na Spyres... sbould be very ok price but... It big change.
Will it better, or I should try compressionless housing with Spyres and/or also TRP rotors?
You're asking two different questions here.

1) Will it be better?

Absolutely. If you are at all concerned about the amount of hand force necessary to achieve maximum braking power RS785 hydros are head and shoulders above any mechanical disc brake. That's not to say there aren't some very good mechanical disc brakes, but I really think the people who claim they're as good as hydraulic brakes have either tried poor hydros or don't mind squeezing the lever hard. Some people even like to squeeze the lever hard. Hydraulic brakes aren't for them.

2) Should you try compressionless housing?

Again, absolutely. Compressionless housing makes a big difference and is the best bang for your buck here. If you want to hedge your bets, go to the LBS and get just the amount of housing you need for the front brake. Minimal risk. Also pay attention to how well your calipers are lined up with the rotors. You can make the brakes you have work really well. Don't spend the money to upgrade without making sure you've got the best performance you can out of your current brakes. Unless you just want to upgrade, in which case you should. It sounds like you kind of don't want to.

Originally Posted by lukasamd
I'm very sceptic to hydros because of more difficult maintenance.
It's something new to learn, for sure. Getting them set up the first time can be tricky and messy, especially if you've never done it before. After that they're pretty close to trouble free -- until they aren't. Things can still happen. I had my pistons get stuck and broke one trying to force them to move. That was a mess and I had to buy a new caliper. Overall, I think I spent more time tinkering with mechanical discs when I used them. If you really wanted to try hydraulics, I would say don't let the maintenance dissuade you. If you're looking for a way to convince yourself that it's OK to stick with mechanicals (and obviously it is), this is as good a reason as any.