Old 01-15-06, 03:54 AM
kim kohen

Bikes: Giant OCR1, 2 mountain bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by acateam
first time ever posting on this sight. I had surgery last week, removed a disk from lower back. I was an avid runner with big dreams, although fairly new at it.I ran a half marathon in October and was training for a full for next November. I am fifty years old in feb. and am heartbroken. It doesn't make sense to think I can run that much again. I do hope to run a little, but am excited to start biking for first time. has anyone here switched from hardcore running to biking? was it a letdown? how about the cardio differences? the satisfaction differences?
Here's my experience.

I'm 47 (I know, I shouldn't be here yet but have spent my entire life doing running sports - soccer, football, tennis, basketball etc - and some at a very high level. About 5 years ago the back started playing up. To cut a long story short, it got very bad and I had no option but to have an L4/5 fusion. That was in October. I was upset and truly thought that would be the end of my active life.

But to the good news, I now swim 5 days a week (1.5 km a day) and ride about 120 km a week - all with no pain. I could have stayed depressed about not being able to do the sports I really loved but I just kicked myself in the arse and told myself that it was an opportunity to do something new. I see the doctor next month and he hasn't ruled out the chance of returning to some running sports but I tend to think the more passive sports will preserve my 'no pain state' far better than if I start pounding the ground again. I'd love to play the odd game to catch up with friends but long term (spine) health is more important than short term gratification. I have a young family to consider also.

As far as comparisons are concerned; I'm probably at a similar fitness level as before. Sometimes I have to force myself to go swimming or biking because I don't enjoy them as much as the team sports but once I get going I'm always pleased I did.

Without wanting to sound like a $10 shrink, my advice is to revel in the challenge of persuing something new - as hard as it might seem now, consider this an opportunity rather than a setback.

// kim