vja4Him
GadgetJim57

Bikes: Yuba Sweet Curry eBike, Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
I have seen lots of people riding cargo bikes hauling stuff that would never fit in a subcompact or even a compact car! And, of course, a motorcycle can't haul very much at all. The OP's comparison as pretty generous, with a USED vehicle compared to new. A hatchback "might" work (although my friend's Prius couldn't haul as much as she thought). But let's say the OP adds in rental of a minivan a few times a year to his cost of ownership for the e-bike....he is still saving a small fortune compared to the cost of any new car+insurance+gas+maintenance+registration. I'm assuming the e-bike was new so both should be new for comparison). "For vehicles driven 15,000 miles a year, average ownership costs added up to about $8,469 per year in 2017." Nerdwallet
The reason I used the "Used, low-mileage Mini-van" for comparison is because that is what I was originally planning on buying …. a used mini-van with low-mileage, because a new mini-van could easily cost $25,000.00-50,000.00 … !!! I was NOT going to buy a new mini-van. So, I was comparing what "I was going to do" in real life.

My early retirement refund was not enough to buy a new mini-van anyways. My later retirement refund would be enough to buy a new mini-van, but then there would be the monthly/yearly costs, which anyone who drives a car/van knows what the "Real Expenses" are ….. I have driven many vehicles for many years.