Old 07-13-18, 10:12 AM
srestrepo

Bikes: 2016 Felt Z85 105, 2016 GT Grade Sora

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NewATBikeComute
If it helps, I remember reading your first posts and being inspired by your willingness to get out there and just do it, despite the challenges you've faced. It helped me to know that not everyone rides 20+ mph, does century rides on weekends.
I have shared only a little about why I ride, but just say it's for mental balance more than anything. I do sympathize with the struggles some days to get back into exercise.
Glad you got out and did it. Was going to try my best to put out some suggestions, but hopefully you are back on the road again, in both senses.
Oh, and I am always 'multi-modal', in that I am too far from work to bike the whole way, so drive part of the way, and bike the rest. As little as 3 miles the first day back after winter, up to 10 miles (hopefully) by the end of this, my 3rd year doing this.
it's funny. i was in a bit of a slump financially, emotionally and professionally for the past few weeks.

after discussing with my wife as to what to do as i hadn't been on any of my group rides this season and intermittently commuting via bike this year she really pressured me to go on this ride. my hesitation was the length of the ride (35 miles) and the heat (90 that day). but i did it anyway.

I have to say, I've been feeling much better since. admittedly, had my wife not pressured me into going, i wouldn't have gone. i know riding to and from work helps me prepare for my day at work and then release my work on my way home to enjoy being there. but sometimes, you get in a slump and cycling has been a big help to me.