View Single Post
Old 07-13-18, 11:06 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
The traffic in that scary intersection will feel like it slows down after you ride through it a couple of times. (But if it ever feels totally safe, you aren't focused enough on the danger)

You might look at Google maps satellite imagery around your office. You may find a sneaky route that lets you avoid that intersection. It could be an access road, a short dirt path through a wooded area, a quick jump between two almost connected parking lots, etc etc etc....any number of methods to avoid that intersection that you'd just never notice while driving a car.

I lived in my neighborhood for 10 years and had been working at the same job for 5 (in the same neighborhood I live in) before I started biking to work. The first couple weeks were awful. Then I started finding all kinds of alternate routes and paths I had no idea existed...all right where I live and work.

Obviously if you work on the other side of that intersection you'll have to cross the road. But you might find an easy route to another crossing a half mile down the road from the intersection that's a much easier place to cross.