vja4Him
GadgetJim57

Bikes: Yuba Sweet Curry eBike, Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ExPatTyke
I finished a bike ride off last Sunday with a trip in an ambulance. My accident happened when I hit a rock or a root, riding at no speed, on a fairly level trail I've ridden quite a few times before.

There's a dent in my helmet, not a big impact, just a smallish dent and a bit of a mark in the coating. Did it save me from concussion, fractured skull, brain injury? No way of telling, but I was home the same night - albeit plastered and on crutches - with my family rather than occupying a much needed hospital bed.

Talking to the ambulance crew and the staff in A&E I got the same impression throughout - they were very pleased I'd worn a helmet. I heard several first hand accounts from medical staff who'd had to deal with the aftermath of brain injuries, including dealing with the cyclists' families.

So, yes, it is a free choice. But - and I really hope this never applies to any of you or your families - if you have to be scraped off the road or trail and patched up by your local hospital wearing that helmet can make everyones' lives much less unpleasant.
I always wear a helmet !!! And my HubBub Mirror, which is a life saver too. I've heard stories, some personal, of people who would most likely have died, or ended up severely handicapped, if they had not been wearing their helmet. I also want to be a better example for others, especially young children. I work at many different schools, and so thousands and thousands of children (and many adults as well) see me cycling to work and all over town. I hope that I never have a serious accident … but at least wearing a helmet will offer protection to my head.