Old 07-16-18, 07:25 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Witterings
As per the heading is there really that much difference between them and are they worth the extra.

I've done quite a few searches comparing one to another and a number of the results you get back are reviews that are possibly sponsored / biased towards up-selling products which is beneficial for the company so thought I'd ask the real people and everyday users for an honest opinion in here.

A lot of the comments seem to generally refer to having an extra gear and have seen things like "Tiagra's worth the jump up from Claris because of the extra gear" and "the new Tiagra is the old 105's before they jumped to 2 x 11" ... but in a market whose latest trend seems to be 1 x 11 does having 1 extra cog on the cassette make a difference when even the Claris is 2 x 8 totaling 5 more than the 1 x 11.

Where you may have the same model but with different specs / price points I'm probably more tempted to go one up from the bottom rung with Sora rather than Claris as this can often be the entry point for hydraulic rather than mechanical brakes ... but the frame's are often exactly the same just with different colours / graphics so what else might you expect jumping up from there and is the gear change really that much smoother it justifies the extra cost.
We spill a lot of electronic ink debating these topics. The thing is, a new bike is not just a shifter. A bike with a full 105 drivetrain likely has a better frame, and maybe better tires and wheels as well as better shifters, chain, brakes and derailleurs. But as a hobbyist or leisure rider, you will have to ask, does it make a difference? We on bike forums stress out a lot about this stuff, but get out in the real world of cycling enthusiasts and you see people happily riding 10, 20, even 30 year old bikes that have mostly stood the test of time, only replacing components when they wear out, which is usually not all that often.

The other thing to consider, and I have made this point numerous times. 8 speed Claris is oretty much entry level for road groups these days, but even so, is a technological marvel for the price. Better than Merckx, Hinault, Lemond and Indurain used when those guys were dominating the pro tour. As good as what Lance Armstrong used when he started his career. And if those guys managed to conquer Alpe D'Huez, Tourmalet, and Ventoux on 6, 7 or 8 speeds, you probably don't need 11 speeds to handle your local hill or charity ride. It is nice to have the latest and the greatest, but you probably don't need it, and it probably won't make you much faster or more efficient.