Old 07-16-18, 03:08 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,219 Times in 2,366 Posts
Originally Posted by cpper
Today as I was shifting between the 9th and 10th(last) cog, applying just slight pressure on the pedals, something very strange happened. The chain suddenly started slipping skipping(whatever is the correct term) on the 10 cog. It now happens all the time, even when the pedals are just slightly pressed. All 9 other cogs work perfectly. I constantly clean and grease my drivetrain, and the chain+cogs are not worn.

Here is a video which explains better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxvhziBC5j4

I thought the H limit screw could've somehow moved so I tried to adjust it with no result. The chain doesn't "climb" on the 9th cog.

I also experimented with the B screw with no result. I also took the wheel off and cleaned the 10th cog and pulleys.

Any idea of what could have happened ? I can clearly see in the video what's happening but can't think of what could be the cause.

Thanks a lot
It looks to me like there is a tight link one or two links after the quick link. The "jump" you feel is just the chain remeshing with the cogs. Try pedaling backwards and watch for the derailer to jump in much the same way as the tight link goes through the jockey pulleys.

I don't think there is anything wrong with your derailer adjustment.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!