Old 07-17-18, 10:54 AM
inspectorgadet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need Help - upgrades for my single speed and rebuilding an old raleigh grand prix

Hi Everyone, first time poster. I currently have a Kilo TT that ive been using since 2014 as my daily driver. I recently inherited a 1980s Peugot that has been converted to a single speed and before that I grabbed my mother in laws old Raleigh Grand Prix from her basement with plans to convert that to a single speed as well. Im about to make some upgrades and want to swap some parts around , in particular wheels but i dont think its going to be as easy as i hoped. I need some help.

Current status of each bike:
1. Kilo TT - has a carbon fork, stock wheels, new stem and headset, bullhorn handlebars, a front brake and brooks saddle, and 18t Freewheel and some platform eggbeater pedals from my mtb bike. everything else is stock.

2. Peugot - converted to single speed. upgraded wheels (not sure what they are but they're not stock), an upgraded saddle. gatorskin tires and some upgraded brake pads. Everything else is stock. has a quil stem and drop handlebars.

3. Raleigh Grand Prix - i stripped this bike down so its currently the frame, form and quil stem. I was able to grind down the bottom bracket cage? (the metal body of the frame that houses the bb) so i could squeeze a less wide but universal press fit BB with a square drive.

At first i was going to move the peugot wheels over to my kilo but quickly realized that wasnt going to work. The Puegot has a spacer and the wheel is wider so it wont fit in my kilo tt frame and the kilo tt rear wheel has no spacer, a single cog and is much more narrow.

I wanted to upgrade the Kilo TT wheelset since I ride that frequently. My next thought was to get a set of Vuelta Corsa wheels from Nashbar for the kilo and move the kilo wheels to the raleigh but same issue again with the rear wheels not being interchangeable. I did see a set of Vuelta Track Wheels that I could use on my Kilo TT but that wouldnt allow me to use the old ones on the Raleigh so maybe thats not the best call.

Another thought i had was to move my carbon fork and stem set over to the Peugot and move the quil stem and drops to to Kilo TT but not sure if that makes sense either.

My objective is to have all 3 bikes to ride. I would like to make upgrades to one of them that will allow me to finish the raleigh with less new parts but not sure if that's feasible with the wheel situation.

Any thoughts to my predicament?

Thanks