View Single Post
Old 07-18-18, 11:41 AM
Tamiya

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Rkman
Hey guys, just had my first major crash on a bike. I was cycling at 20-30 mph on a 2 mile trail, and I was out of the saddle pedalling. All of a sudden, the bike locked up and I flew over the handlebars. I landed on my wrists and I broke one wrist and skinned the other. I was wearing a helmet luckily. Kinda sucks since I am 14 and currently taking a course to skip algebra 2 honors over the summer. Does anyone have any insight on what caused the crash? The bike is a specialized allez sport and when I got up and looked at it the chain had come off and the rubber hoods were torn.the place I was cycling had a smooth road with no debris on it. I am asking cause I suspect the shop where I bought the bike might have incorrectly set the limit screws on the FD, since the bike is only around 2 weeks old
Thanks for any insight
join the club! wrecked nearly the same at your age ~9th grade

Bought a new mtb, riding it home after school. Running fine & reached back in my neighbourhood, stretch of empty road so thought I'd try out these whizbang newfangled topgear thingys

FD skipped & jammed.
Looked down at chainring.
split second later... looked up to find out we're heading into a parked car

locked up front brakes.
Flew over bars
i rolled shoulder first into car bumper
then school bag flew off rear rack & hit me

that was a long long long long time ago (how long? My first mtb!! Shimano pre SIS!)
Casualties? Well... didn't break any bones (phew).
Pre mandatory helmet law, so no foam hat worn (yet I lived)
Cars still had chrome bumpers... and they don't scratch easy, so no car damage (phewX2)
Bigass rear rack (I had just gotten fitted) saved frame from roadrash (yay)
But my boombox was in the flying schoolbag, it didn't survive the impact - radio never worked again.

Wish you speedy recovery!