Old 07-18-18, 06:42 PM
inspectorgadet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon
Ditto Scrod's Meme/MPEG above.

When the OP says he used a press fit BB, surely he doesn't mean something like the PF30. I think he put in one of those universal repair BB's, with the cups threaded on the inside. Too bad he didn't take the frame to a shop to have the shell faced and chased, buy a new BB of the correct size, and voila! have a nice, serviceable setup.

So cringe-worthy!
Some more info. I did do quite bit of research reading endless hours on Sheldon's website when i first got my Kilo TT and then again when i was breaking down the Raleigh. That continues to be my priamry source of information. the problem im having is that there is so much info that i get turned around and upside down especially when considering the differences for each of the bikes. I was hoping somewhere here could help point me in the right direction, in particular about the wheels. i will look into more info based on your comments about being able to adapt a more narrow hub to the raleigh. Can you link me to the wheels you recommended?

As far as the bottom bracket on the raleigh goes, i researched the hell out of it at the time but dont remember everything i found out. I think the bike is a 78 raleigh grand prix and had a wider than 68mm shell. i believe it was 76mm and had cottered cranks. I read Sheldon's articles and the upgrade options were more expensive (velo orange or phil wood BB) than i wanted to spend. I also dont have a good LBS in my area that will retap and reface a BB for me. I ended up getting a universal sunlite Threadless BB repair unit from Amazon and grinding down the shell with an angle grinder. Its not perfect but i think it will work. I cant post links yet so i cant share a link of the item i purchased.