View Single Post
Old 07-19-18, 10:47 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by Chesterton
Congratulations! I can't imagine having to drive a long way home right after a ride like that. After my 200K I basically just passed out in the car while my riding buddy drove us back home.

Olcott is that little village that contains Olcott Beach. They have this really charming little kiddie amusement park in the summer, with an old fairground organ, a carousel, and about a dozen restored kiddie rides from the 1940s, all in sight of the lake. Other than that, there's not much to the town!

Was it a problem to miss the control in terms of certifying the brevet card? I can only imagine it can be difficult to navigate in the middle of the night on the third day of riding!
The drive was rough. I aspire to be a non-driver, but it hasn't worked out realistically. I don't have a car -- borrowed my wife's for this ride. I normally try to mooch a ride from someone (and this, too, can be scary!).

As for missing the controle, I entered the time I passed through the town, and my own initials. There really can't be any doubt I was there-- I rode around the whole lake, after all, and have the photos to prove it. I don't need this ride to qualify for anything other than the RUSA cup, so if someone decides I haven't fulfilled the requirements, well, then I guess I won't get my cup and I'll have to figure out some other way to in my and frankly, being DQ'd might make for the better story anyway.