Old 07-20-18, 09:47 PM
taguy4

Bikes: Peugeot PR-10, Peugeot UO-8, Boeris racing bike, AMF Roadmaster Renegade, Gitane Gypsy Sport, various Schwinn muscle bikes, Schwinn Super Sport, Panasonic DX-4000, Palo Alto Campy equipped bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Campy Triomphe derailleur pulley question

I just got done cleaning and regreasing the pulleys on the Campy Triomphe derailleur I got not too long ago and when i put them back one only one of them spins freely when tightened down. The only way I can get the other one to spin freely is to leave the nut a little loose: is this how Campy intended the pulleys to be installed with the nuts not tightened down fully? The only way to get this to work withouot risking the nut falling off would be to carefully clean the threads of the little pivot bolts and put some Locktite on the threads and hope that holds the nut on permanently. The pulleys seemed to spin fine when I got the derailleur, but since I got it used on eBay I decided it would be a good idea to service it anyway.

I tried swapping out the various parts of the two pulleys as well as the pulleys themselves and still I get the same result. It's as if one of the pulley's metal bushing is too short and it's not making contact with the outer plates when its nut is tightened down. In that case i would say the pulley is bad. Still I wonder why it seemed fine to me before I messed with it.

If I do need to change the pulley can I replace it with a Shimano or other brand of pulley? Just looking at replacement Campy pulleys they all seem to be nine or ten speed pulleys (but still ten tooth) instead of six or seven speed like I need, not that that makes a difference. These are fairly pricey for what they are in my opinion, but I guess that's Campy for you.