View Single Post
Old 07-20-18, 11:36 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18382 Post(s)
Liked 4,515 Times in 3,355 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
I have yet to find a MUP like that. Every single one I've tried has been dominated -- overwhelmingly -- by pedestrian. Because I have to watch out for everybody going in all directions, my average speed on the MUP is 1/2 of what it is on the road with constant traffic signals and stop signs. You didn't read any of my posts did you?
It varies...

For the most part, pedestrians don't significantly slow me down on the MUPS. But, it may depend a bit on the city, MUP, time of day, day of the week, and month of the year.

I posted a photo of the Portland riverfront earlier. Depending on what is happening, it can be a bit slow. I'd have gotten through that day if I didn't have a trailer, but since I was towing, I had to turn around and try a different route. But, other Portland area MUPS are pretty smooth sailing.

Likewise in Eugene, a few bad spots, often around parks, but generally pretty clear riding once one gets off the bridges, and a few hundred yards away from the parking lots.

It turns out that my fastest commute (up until this summer) was about 1/3 on a MUP at an 18 MPH overall average for about 15 miles total.

I don't race a lot on the MUPS, but have picked out a couple of Strava segments I like, clocking a couple of my fastest flatish segments. 25.1 MPH & 27.7 MPH... yes, I know, a bit slow, I'll work on them a bit more.

And, yes, I've had pedestrians blow my Strava runs before. Eagle gawkers? But, that is all part of the game. Slow down, pass safely, rest, and ride another day.