View Single Post
Old 07-22-18, 08:12 AM
lacro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just scored a really nice super grand Prix

Saw a FS add on a Facebook local selling group for a Raleigh bike. The model was listed as 'Classic"? So I decided to go have a look even though it was 60 mile RT. After seeing the bike, I determined it's a Super Grand Prix. The word Classic is on the top tube so the seller thought that was the model. The price was super cheap so I bought it. It's a 23.5" frame, and I have determined it is a 1979 as several components are stamped 79. The condition is excellent! Absolutely no rust anywhere or pitting on chrome bits. It's got good (not original) tires showing no wear. Almost everything is original (different bar tape, and toe clips missing) with no grease or grime on the drive train. The brake pads have virtually no wear. the rims don't have any brake wear marks. I think it hasn't been ridden more than a few miles in 40 years! Brought it home, and aired up the tires, and took it for a ride. Rides good, and everything is properly adjusted, and works as it should. All it needs is a good cleaning, and polishing. No buffing wheel work needed for the aluminum parts, just polishing with Mothers makes everything sparkle.

Spec sheet, and photos of the bike as found before clean-up: