View Single Post
Old 07-23-18, 06:24 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
The biggest problem I see around here with MUP's is that far too many bicyclists don't realize that MUP stands for MULTI USE Path. At certain times of the day and on weekends some of the MUPs in my area are like a highway during rush hour with lots of stop and go traffic. You have pedestrians, dog walkers with dogs on long very thin retractable leashes with the leash run out to 25 feet or so which results in the leash being stretched across the path, many people wearing earbuds with volume so high they can't hear a bicycle bell, casual "squirrel" type bicyclists who can't hold a straight line to save their lives, and wannabe Grand Tour bicyclists who think that the MUP is their private training ground. MUP stands for MULTI USE and thus bicyclists need to expect others and be prepared to stop suddenly if needed. During the really busy times on the MUPs around here I avoid them and use the road if I want to get somewhere quickly and/or avoid the stress of trying to negotiate around the other users of the MULTI Use Path.

Cheers