Old 07-23-18, 10:12 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
The biggest problem I see around here with MUP's is that far too many bicyclists don't realize that MUP stands for MULTI USE Path. At certain times of the day and on weekends some of the MUPs in my area are like a highway during rush hour with lots of stop and go traffic. You have pedestrians, dog walkers with dogs on long very thin retractable leashes with the leash run out to 25 feet or so which results in the leash being stretched across the path, many people wearing earbuds with volume so high they can't hear a bicycle bell, casual "squirrel" type bicyclists who can't hold a straight line to save their lives, and wannabe Grand Tour bicyclists who think that the MUP is their private training ground.
And don't forget the pedestrians that have the same belief.
MUP stands for MULTI USE and thus bicyclists need to expect others and be prepared to stop suddenly if needed. During the really busy times on the MUPs around here I avoid them and use the road if I want to get somewhere quickly and/or avoid the stress of trying to negotiate around the other users of the MULTI Use Path.

Cheers
Which would defeat the purpose. Your multi use path would then be a pedestrian only path. Just more sidewalk.