Old 07-24-18, 08:52 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
Grand Tour bicyclists who think that the MUP is their private training ground.
I have to preface this by saying I don't train on any bike paths, it isn't practical, but this kind of statement kind of irks me because it's a bit derisive to those who like to train to get faster/fitter. I often see such riders referred to as "racer boys" "lance wannabes" etc. around these forums. I also have to wonder if people are really riding that fast or if it's just fast relative to those on the bike path. Every time I do venture on the bike path, I can easily say that even at the moderate pace I try to stick to when i go on the paths, I am always the passer and never the passee, and I'm quite mediocre. I never close pass (and always slow down rather than go down the middle if someone is approaching from the opposite lane), so I don't know if my pace bothers anyone. But I know motorists think all cyclists belong on paths, and if slower MUP users think faster cyclists don't belong there either, it presents a conundrum. Where the heck should people train? At home on the trainer? I know this is a bit extreme, but I think it does highlight some the issues that more fitness/performance oriented cyclists might face.

The reality is that multi-use paths have to cater to the lowest common denominator, but I do think some folks, especially faster folks, are definitely made to feel less welcome.