Old 07-24-18, 12:21 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
Actually, "slower MUP users" think that "faster MUP users" should pass safely, and if that's not possible because of traffic, SLOW DOWN, and then pass when it's safe to do so.

Just like "slower road users" think that "faster road users" should pass safely, and if that's not possible because of traffic, SLOW DOWN, and then pass when it's safe to do so.

How is that a conundrum?

-mr. bill
I don't disagree, certainly when I'm on the path I pass as widely left as I can. When I go on the Minuteman, I go with the expectation of going more slowly than on the road and, as I said, I always slow down behind a slow user as opposed going on the center line if there is someone else coming toward me, I don't want to scare anyone with close passing and certainly don't want to make anyone crash.

UniChris summed it up very nicely, and appreciate that, the conundrum being that there is a segment of users who are told where they are is the wrong place to ride. I got flipped off in Lexington on Mass Ave because I was on the road, with the driver telling me to get on the bike trail (this was on a busy weekend day), but riding at the pace of my particular workout would have been impossible on the bike path (constant slowing is not really a productive workout). So that's what I was referring to as a conundrum where motorists don't want cyclists on the road and MUPs aren't a great place if someone really wants to get a workout. Obviously the roads are more than wide open and motorists aren't always yelling at cyclists to get off the roads, but the sentiment is out there.