Old 07-25-18, 12:27 AM
John00

Bikes: 2 TiSports and a Ho Ko E Koo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

About 100' from where I crashed.
Air quality was 98 this morning, but the North wind blew the smoke from the forest fires away and it dropped to 50 something (almost good) 101 t0 150 is is hazardous to older adults and children. Doesn't say anything about older adults who act and think like children. The scale goes up to 301-500 which is rated deadly. I rode 48 Miles, would have been more, but I went endo at 20 mph descending a steep s curved hill. I took my eyes off the road for just 2-3 seconds, looked up and I was heading right off the road. I scrubbed off 10 mph before I was off the road in deep gravel. I was able to stay upright, but my bike wouldn't steer or slow in the deep gravel. I was heading for a stout wood fence when the front wheel dug in and I found myself upside down. I remember landing on my back then ended up in a siting position with by bike at my feet. I felt around and all my limbs were still attached. Had the wind knocked out of me, but the 3-4 inches of gravel really saved my ass. I sat there looked at the bike for damage and other than the left brake/shifter which was 4" out of place everything was good. So sat there for 5 minutes when a young woman stopped and asked if I was OK. Even went back to her car for a first aid kit. I only had a scratch on my ankle and was bleeding near my eye for a minute from a cut from my sunglasses. My back was sore but I was OK. Got up and walked my bike to the top of the hill then rode a few miles to a State Park which is one of my regular stops. Sat a short while then started up the 6 miles with 3 miles of steep hill the rest with less steep parts in there to recover on. Some middle aged rider on a very fancy Trek with SRAM red, wireless shifting. asked If I was OK, I said yes and he rode off, but soon turned around and rode with me all the way to the top and to my daughter's house. She's a nurse and her husband is a MD. I asked him if I was going to live, he looked me up and down and said probably. I thanked the man who rode with me and went in and sat with my daughter for 15 minutes. Then said I had to go home before I stiffened up. She wanted to drive me, but I said I'd feel better on the bike, it is mostly down hill to my place.So now I'm siting here feeling OK. very glad for that deep gravel I landed on. I guess I have an excuse to buy a fancy new MIPS helmet now.

Last edited by John00; 07-25-18 at 03:37 PM.