View Single Post
Old 07-28-18, 02:47 AM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 1,716 Times in 611 Posts
Originally Posted by Slightspeed
I love the look of your bike. Is the head tube cream color, or kind of goldish? Was that a stock color scheme, or your own invention? Great looking bike! I built mine from an abused frame, spray painted pea soup green. I used a a Toyota Spruce Mica, BRG, with a little gold flake. I considered doing my headtube in cream, but decided on gold outlined lugs instead. I see you have both. Is your seat tube the same as the head tube, or white? Heres my '73.

Thank you, Slightspeed. I sort of specialize in carefully applied rattle-can Rust-Oleum paint jobs, and this is my best one yet. The head tube and seat tube center panel are Rust-Oleum Almond Creme and the main color is Hunter Green. I apply 5 coats, let it cure for a week, and then hit it with the rubbing compound, and then polishing compound. I was so eager to ride this bike that I haven't waxed it yet, that will have to wait until winter now.

So no, this was not a paint scheme offered by Raleigh or Carlton. The decals are ones I selected from Velocals because I thought they would look nice on there. I've never seen another bike with the "Made in England" script on the chainstay, but I thought it looked like it belonged there. I'm still trying to decide whether to mount a chainguard or not. If I do, it will have a Raleigh decal on it.

Your bike is a very nice restoration. The color you selected looks like it should have been offered by the factory. I like it better than the bronze-green my bike was originally painted.

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.

USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!