Old 07-28-18, 07:13 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6003 Post(s)
Liked 958 Times in 732 Posts
Originally Posted by arty dave
Ah sorry, I didn't know that Gazelle did their own proprietary parts mixed in with the SA hubs.
If you post some photos we might be able to offer some better advice, but I think you'll be fine to swap around whatever parts you need to get it to work. They're a very simple hub. Maybe tighten it up into place and see if that helps? There is what feels like quite a bit of play and wobbling until the nut is snugged down, so it might be OK. Let us know how you go with it.
I did know that so I'm the one that should apologize. But I don't believe this is unique for the Gazelle versions, I believe SA has made those brake plate/ drum covers that sit inside the hub, and ones that go over the hub. The ones to go over the hub have a curved edge, and those hubs have a little ridge that fits inside.

For now I'll illustrate it with internet pictures, both from Gazelles:

So one brake plate is a kind of cup that sits on top and the other is flat and is recessed inside. I fear that for the brake plate to it's job protecting the brakes from the weather, I need the hub and the brake plate to match. My hub is designed for the recessed brake plate, and has no ridge to fit inside the curve of the cup brake plate. I didn't see any brakes with recessed brake plate on sale anywhere.

So'll probably have to invent and make a tool to hold the nut in place too, so I can undo the brake from the brake plate and screw it onto the old plate.