View Single Post
Old 07-28-18, 04:30 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 1,470 Times in 1,147 Posts
Originally Posted by Fullcount
... maybe a 36 spoke wheel might be a good investment. I think I will get another wheel built for this bike and probably get another cassette installed on the wheel, so it is an easy swap out of the rear wheel if I am on a longer ride or anticipate having a bikepacking seat bag along for the ride....

.... I did go out today with the loaner wheel and it made some noise - tinny sound. Not sure if that was due to the type of spokes. But it ran fine, ....
I do not know if your bike is disc or rim brake, it is getting harder to find good hubs for rim brake wheels that take 36 spokes.

Did the loaner wheel have a spoke protector? My road bike came with one, as the wheel rolled the spoke protector would rub on the spokes and make a noise. Was not loud at all, but riding on a paved trail with minimal wind I could hear it. I eventually removed it.