View Single Post
Old 07-29-18, 12:18 AM
sumbikerguy123

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nfmisso View Post
Realistically it is not practical to sustain 30+ mph on an ebike without a proper suspension system. Your interest in high power stuff does not go with your stated desires for the bike (Wal-mart grocery run).

This bike fits your grocery run perfectly: https://www.radpowerbikes.com/produc...=5032655749151

Regarding speed - in most places there are laws on the books prohibiting riding ebikes on sidewalks, and most bike trails have a 15mph speed limit - enforcement is usually non-existent......

My 36V 500W front hub ($150- from Amazon) converted 1992 Trek 950 with me on it (400-450 lbs GVW) will go 26-29mph (depending on battery charge level) with no pedalling, for more than 10 miles (flat out) on a 468Wh (13Ah) battery ($300- from Amazon). Going a bit less than flat out (say 20 mph) and adding a little pedalling will get it past 20 miles easily.

A healthy non-professional cyclist in anaerobic sprint mode (a couple minutes at most) will put out 500W to 1000W. In aerobic mode 200-350W range.

Also note that standard bike tires are not designed for 30+ mph, a blowout at speed will result in a hospital stay if you are lucky. Make sure you get tires rated for the speed and weight you are carry. My 950 has Schwalbe Big Ben 50-559 tires.

On heavy e-bikes, rear spoke failure is common due to the lack of compliance, the shock loads the spokes are amplified by higher speeds. Larger tires mitigate this somewhat, suspension more so.
[QUOTE=nfmisso;20475402]Realistically it is not practical to sustain 30+ mph on an ebike without a proper suspension system. Your interest in high power stuff does not go with your stated desires for the bike (Wal-mart grocery run).

R. Thanks for replying Nigel. Yes and no. Did I say I wanted to go 30+ all the time? When its necessary its okay. I see nothing wrong with going 30mph for 5-10 mile stretches if the bike and road allows you to do that. I've never owned an e-bike before or done a conversion, but if I put a 1500W motor in my Hybrid I would look into the appropriate tires to fit the motor and additional speed. I've have gone over 35mph several times on my Hybrid going down a decline with no problems. I have good tires on my bike, so not too worried about it. On the e-bike I purchased today it has the appropriate tires and suspension, etc.

What do you consider a proper e-bike suspension system? My hybrid doesn't have a suspension if that's what you are referring to, it seems? The e-bike I purchased today has a suspension tho.

Is 750W considered high power in your mind? Its not only making grocery runs to Walmart 20 miles round trip up and over overpasses, it might be a long distance weekend ride 50-100 miles once in awhile. The Rad bike you linked to below has a 750W motor, so ...?

This bike fits your grocery run perfectly: https://www.radpowerbikes.com/produc...=5032655749151

R. Yes it does, where were you two weeks or two hours ago? Looks like a station wagon, lol, certainly fits the grocery getter category. Good price also. Its a direct drive bike, not familiar with this type of motor setup? Again, where were you earlier? As I already purchased a bike this afternoon. This thing is 79" in length, about a foot longer than my Hybrid. I live in a efficiency unit be kind of tight getting it in there?

Regarding speed - in most places there are laws on the books prohibiting riding ebikes on sidewalks, and most bike trails have a 15mph speed limit - enforcement is usually non-existent......

R. Okay, but is an e-bike also considered a regular bike since it has pedals? What, if I pedal an e-bike on the sidewalk its illegal? But if I pedal a bicycle on the same sidewalk its legit? I'll take my chances? Could say the same about bicycles, some sidewalks don't allow bicycles?

My 36V 500W front hub ($150- from Amazon) converted 1992 Trek 950 with me on it (400-450 lbs GVW) will go 26-29mph (depending on battery charge level) with no pedalling, for more than 10 miles (flat out) on a 468Wh (13Ah) battery ($300- from Amazon). Going a bit less than flat out (say 20 mph) and adding a little pedalling will get it past 20 miles easily.

R. You and your bike weighs 400-450lbs? Damn son? I thought you were concerned about speed and having the correct suspension? In your 1st paragraph you said: "Realistically it is not practical to sustain 30+ mph on an ebike without a proper suspension system." Yet your Trek bike has no suspension at all, except the tires, lol?

A healthy non-professional cyclist in anaerobic sprint mode (a couple minutes at most) will put out 500W to 1000W. In aerobic mode 200-350W range.

R. Nice to know, thanks.

Also note that standard bike tires are not designed for 30+ mph, a blowout at speed will result in a hospital stay if you are lucky. Make sure you get tires rated for the speed and weight you are carry. My 950 has Schwalbe Big Ben 50-559 tires.

R. Okey-dokey. Dumping a bike at 30+mph can't be much fun!

On heavy e-bikes, rear spoke failure is common due to the lack of compliance, the shock loads the spokes are amplified by higher speeds. Larger tires mitigate this somewhat, suspension more so.

R. Thanks again for the info mate.

Last edited by sumbikerguy123; 07-29-18 at 01:01 AM.