View Single Post
Old 07-29-18, 02:05 PM
stevedaytona

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
An unimpressive LBS visit

So, I'm at the stage where I am trying to research the bike I want to buy. I know a bit as I used to ride constantly in my younger days but it's been 20 years since I had a proper bike. That is I used to know a bit - but know little about the new fangled tech. The other new thing for me is that I don't really know if my current weight is an issue. I've always been on the big boned side anyway....never less than 180 as an adult even when I was really fit (ran a marathon) but now I am almost 280.

This afternoon I was out and about and passing one of the three local bike shops and noticed it was actually open - I thought all three were closed Sundays - so I went in.

So, I say hi and say I want to get back into road cycling and ask if my weight is a consideration. I also note they only have three road bikes and they are all Trek's. It turns out they only have Trek's. Anyway the guy seems to have no clue about my weight question (despite not being exactly slim himself!), and he thumbs through catalogs and on the computer for what seemed ages but still couldn't offer any kind of advice as to whether my kind of weight is a consideration for his three single make bikes! In the end I just said, well thanks for your help and exited.

Guess that's one place I can mark off my list