View Single Post
Old 07-29-18, 06:13 PM
glenhendry

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ebike power cuts out under load

I am having trouble with my e-bike. The power completely cuts out under load. The LCD goes blank and a key reset is required to get going again. The cut out happens very fast, after only about 15 seconds. The bike has been going well for about a year, and after reading these forums I made sure that I bought higher quality specced equipment. It is a 26" MTB based e-bike with a 1000W rear wheel kit bought from Dillenger electric bike in Australia. I have recently replaced the controller and the LCD screen.

Specs: 30Amp - 48V - 12 MOSFET Upgraded Wiring Controller, Brushless 1000W motor, Li-ion 10Ah 48V (upgraded wiring and LCD).

I looked inside the motor, and all looked fine. Smelled normal. When it cuts out there is no heat on the motor or controller or battery. I plugged in my spare controller and the same behaviour. Motor spins fine indefinitely off the ground. I examined all the connectors and plugs and connectors and all seem strong and secure and of good quality workmanship. All the posts about cutting out pointed to the battery being out of balance, and so I charged it for 4 days and the same thing happens. Photos of charger attached. The "charged" green light comes on and then stays on, I am not sure about how good the charger (and BMS) is at balancing the pack?

I pulled the battery apart last night hoping to find something obvious amiss, but all the connections and solder looked good. Smelled good. The key mechanism looked good, the wires were solidly connected. I looked into the BMS and it looked fine too. Images attached. I measured the voltage of the whole pack after charging for 4 days, 54.2v - is this too high for a 48v battery?

I couldn't get to the individual cells, but I measured across all the pins on the BMS (must be the cell groups?): 0v, 4.16, 8.35, 12.52, 16.70, 20.8, 25.0, 29.2, 33.3, 37.5, 41.6, 45.8, 50.0, 54.2. This means the groups? are (I think): 4.16, 4.19, 4.17, 4.18, 4.1, 4.2, 4.2, 4.1, 4.2, 4.1, 4.2, 4.2, 4.2. Charger says output +48v 2A.

<I am having troubles adding images>

Last edited by glenhendry; 07-29-18 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Add pics